Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Gluten-Free Puddle

Shortly after Christmas (oh, delicious Christmas...) I realized I had to take another close look at my dietary habits. I was feeling that slump of energy, constantly. I was familiar with some food intolerances, as I had been doing lots of reading for a course in Herbalism. I learned wheat and cow's milk products are not easily digested by many people who aren't even aware of the sensitivity. Could I be one of the unaware?

So I removed bagels and ice cream from my grocery list. Along with the other wheaty and milky treats I love. A challenge, yes, but wow... I soon noticed that I was no longer falling asleep amid little nests of cheques and deposit slips at work!

Eventually cheese and bread found me again. I don't know how, because I sure wasn't looking for them. Multiple loaves of sourdough bread, fresh from Ida's oven. Cheese curds which I made myself on a farm in British Columbia. Toasty cinnamon buns, with melted butter. Hot caramel sundaes. Muffins of the week at my favourite tea hang-out place. And a recently discovered recipe for soft pretzels. (Seriously, so good that these pretzels were the entire meal once!)

Which brings us to my recent visit to a doctor of naturopathy. She has a similar hunch as I did back in January about wheat. Only she's taking it a step further. Not just wheat-free, but now entirely gluten-free! FOR THREE WEEKS! *Sigh* At least milk gets a green light.

I would like to able to report that I have been a diligent little foodie. However, I may have sampled a bit of bruschetta on Thursday. And I may have accidentally ordered a chickpea enchilada yesterday (which only had chickpeas IN it, and the wrap itself was NOT made of chickpeas) at the spa. And I may have just had a beer. Dammit. Barley.

Oh yeah, so the spa yesterday...... Le Nordik. Bathing cycles of hot, cold and relaxing. Repeating. No talking. Sounds of nature filling the air. After my fourth round of eucalyptus steam, I realized I was probably impaired. Yes, I ended the day as a puddle of melted butter. A puddle with slightly limited mental facilities. And no room for worries. Weird smell coming from my car? No problem, we have CAA if it explodes. Gas tank almost empty by Gananoque? That's okay, we'll see how far we get before the light goes on. Maybe I shouldn't have been driving after all.

Which reminds me - I had a dream last night that my car had no brakes. I should call my dad the mechanic now. And I should build my own steam room. And I really love eucalyptus.

No comments:

Post a Comment